Politics can be a confusing subject for many, and with the US Elections underway and the upcoming referendum […]
Highwaymen is a modular tile board game where players are tasked with attempting to rob a stagecoach that is laden with gold and other spoils. Each player works with the others to disable the stagecoach before it leaves the forest. It won’t be easy as there are military escorts surrounding the carriage who have no qualms about stopping you by any means necessary. One dead bandit is not going to ruin their day.
- Mechanics: Hand Management, Memory, Press your luck, Set Collection
- Kickstarter URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/204427442/hoard?ref=AngelofDice
- BoardGameGeek URL: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180471/hoard
- Quick to set up.
- Rules are simple to understand.
- The artwork matches the theme, I like it.
- A big plus which shows forward thinking from the designer is that the cards are distinctive from each other. You will not get confused as to what type of card you are holding. If people have trouble telling the cards apart due to colour blindness, then each card depicts a shape and symbol in each of the card corners.
- In the games that the wife and I played, there did not seem to be evidence of runaway scoring.
- Slight con depending on your point of view is that the length of time to play the game has elements of Fluxx, it can be over quickly before you get into your stride. However, this is a minor point as you can quickly get into another game without much setup and at the most, the length of time for a decent game is around 10 minutes
- The layout of the cards prevent this from being a true travel game, however as long as you have a decent table (train or hotel room), then you can easily play this.
I was lucky enough to get a review copy of Hoard from Cheeky Parrot. As of writing, they are at $13,667 New Zealand Dollars out of a $16,000 goal on Kickstarter.
Hoard is a game where you are adventurers trying to steal the gold and treasure from a dragon’s lair without waking it up.
So when you open up the treasure trove of delights that is Hoard, what do you get? For starters, the box is nice and bright depicting a thief on top of a pile of coins. It’s compact enough that you can pop it into your manbag or handbag without much trouble. Once you pull the top off and inhale the new box smell, you will be greeted with the following:
56 game cards which are made up of Treasure cards which each depict different types of treasures which include coin bags, diamonds, rings, goblets, emeralds and treasure chests. The game also comes with the three double sided dragon cards where the blue side is the dragon sleeping and the red side is the dragon starting to awaken.
With only 3 days to go until the UK Games Expo, here is another press release for Playmore Games, […]
The CCTV is installed. The laser tripwires are active. The alarms are set. The vault door is shut tight and your bank staff are armed. To others, it’s a security nightmare that’s nigh impossible to breach. To you, however, it’s the stage for the Perfect Crime.
Grublin Games (Cornish Smuggler, Waggle Dance, Terralith) are launching an asymmetrical, modern day, tower defence style bank robbery game with fast setup, hidden information, tons of tension, and is based on real life and filmic heists: Perfect Crime.
Perfect Crime is a game for 2-5 players, takes ~90 minutes to play and can be played in co-op, semi co-op or full competitive modes.
Cavern Tavern – The best kept secret of the Northern Realms Final Frontier Games introduces “Cavern Tavern” – […]
Midnight at the Arcane Academy, yet the apprentice wizards are far from their beds; they have slipped away into the woods under cover of darkness to a campfire. Huddled around the flames, the young wizards play a game. Someone has stolen a mote of elemental flame from the Artificer’s Vault, which the wizards will set into the moon-drenched sky and cast spells on. Whoever Conjures the mote into the most powerful mythical creature is the winner. This is Ember.
Mechanics: Take That, Trade, Negotiation Kickstarter URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dirtycops/dirty-cops-a-game-for-scoundrels BoardGameGeek URL: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/195007/dirty-cops-game-scoundrels Pros Has good potential for interaction with other players. […]
The last couple of weeks has been busy for me writing articles, preparing games for the local Beaver […]
“Inevitably they find their way into the forest. It is there that they lose and find themselves. […]